In this article, we will try to generate pipe-delimited output from BI Report by using a dummy template
Normally, we will create an etext template and explicitly mention the pipe delimiter after each column and then upload the etext template to generate the pipe delimited output.
Let’s consider a simple data set to pull the action information
SELECT B.ACTION_TYPE_ID,B.ACTION_TYPE_CODE,T.MEANING,B.BUSINESS_GROUP_ID FROM PER_ACTION_TYPES_B B, PER_ACTION_TYPES_TL T WHERE B.ACTION_TYPE_ID = T.ACTION_TYPE_ID
Let’s create a report with a dummy template.
Dummy Template – It could be blank or anything. We will be just using it as a medium to generate output file and we will not get the content of this template on the output.
Now, lets go to the Report properties > formatting tab
Search for the CSV and modify the attributes like below:
Click OK and then save it.
Now, go to the view list and select the “Data (CSV)” as output format and then select it as default output format.
Now click on save.
Click on View Report.
Here is how the output will look like with pipe delimiter:
Attributes with values having a space character will be enclosed in double quotes.
We are using the seeded CSV functionality over here to generate comma-separated text, however, we are overriding the delimiter to pipe.
Advantage with this approach is it is very easy to generate the pipe delimited output.
Drawbacks using this approach is like we cannot modify the sequence of fields, add header, etc. If there are any input parameters, then those would also get added to the output at the beginning of the file for each row.
Based on your requirement you can use this approach if the file format is straightforward, else go with the etext template and customize the output as per the need.
We can also use similar delimiter Semicolon(;), Tab(\t), Pipe(|), Comma(,)
Top 10 Popular Posts from our Knowledgebase
- DataFusing FREE Cloud based SQL Developer like tool for Oracle Cloud
- Core HR Entity Relationship Diagram (ERD) for HCM Cloud
- Most Frequently used Document IDs from Oracle Support
- FREE Oracle Training & Accreditation with Oracle Learning Explorer
- How HDL Transformation Formula works with ElementEntry Sample
- FREE Oracle Fusion Demo Instance (VISION) Access
- Top 10 FREE useful tools for Fusion Consultants
- Learning Fusion HCM Technical Skillset
- Sample HCM Data Loader (HDL) files for all Business Objects
- Most frequently used Tables list in Fusion HCM